BON MOTS

“This is one of those views which are so absolutely absurd that only very learned men could possibly adopt them.” --John Burroughs

"Living in a vacuum sucks." --Adrienne E. Gusoff

Monday, March 5, 2007

Welcome to the Prologue!

Hello and welcome to the scary world of ....dum, dum, dum! Deconstructing the DISSERTATION! It's a unique place in the virtual world - a spot where the past really DOES become prologue as we each work to synthesize years of education into one coherent piece of personal literature...

I will be using this blog as a way to muse, contemplate, and otherwise rip apart my dissertation ideas. My process is, of course, beginning with research, and most of this research is directly related to a grant that my committee and I are completing now for the National Endowment for the Humanities' (NEH) 2007 Digital Archive Initiative.

This blog will be an "invitation only" site - and I'll share ideas here with my peers and colleagues who are also going through this daunting rhetorical process. In fact, just today, Rochelle and I decided that we'd create our own "dissertation class." We are going to have monthly meetings at TWU's library on Friday mornings where we'll formally report to one another on our progress and otherwise fuss, cuss, and discuss the challenges, worries, and successes we encounter along the way. We figure that the BIGGEST challenge we'll face in writing the dissertation is the lack of structure and deadlines - so we'll create these ourselves, and in the process, we'll have the benefit of ongoing feedback with a colleague or two who share many of our same interests (and the benefit of almost identical PhD coursework); what riveting discussions we will surely have!

Yes siree! It'll be a select group made up of only the nerdiest of kids...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you can make it on an occasional Friday afternoon (maybe even a Happy Hour), I will be there to share my woes!
I'm happy to be a part of this virtual dissertation blogging world, thank you.

Rochelle Gregory said...

Are we not too cool or what???

Now, you do realize that a dissertation blog is useless if you don't actually post about your dissertation. So, no slacking. Get to work. I'll be back to check on your progress. ;)

Rochelle Gregory said...

I'd be okay with a Friday happy hour or afternoon.

Drinks on Allie, right? She's the one w/ the full-time job, right?

Dr. Donna said...

Alison! Rochelle! Alison - it's been FOREVER! Rochelle - its been what? 12 hours? ;)

Yes - we are the coolest nerds I know. And fairly normal - all things considered...

My Fridays are ALL dissertation stuff, so I can do whatever we need to do. When's our FIRST meeting? Hmmm?

Lynda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lynda said...

Congrats to all you ladies. I look forward to watching your dissertations evolve, which, therefore, will prepare me for my own future dream fulfillment. LD

Katt said...

Well let Rochelle crack the whip if she wants, I'm just here for support (and to see how far you guys take this medium).

Thanks for the invite, Donna. I've always wanted to be a cheerleader and now I have a realm to do just that (while maintaining the part of my brain that does the thinking).