...or how I survived student conferences, graded 25 papers, and still got lunch
It's only 3:50pm, and yet my teaching day has been full and complete. I am accomplished. I am teacher; hear me roar.
I finished student conferencing today, caught another TWO (count 'em: T-W-O) plagiarizers, and still finished all my grading. T J brought me lunch (I love you man). Sigh... it was a big day here at "Copy-off-Crappy-Blogs-Central."
So, you might ask yourself... just exactly HOW did these students plagiarize? Was it a simple citation error (and I am just a mean, mean vindictive, college-student-hating person), or was it perhaps a case of un-cited paraphrasing? Oh no folks. It was a blog that done in these children. They copied from bad, bad blogs - bad enough that before I figured out the infraction I was forced to give them each a "C---" and a stern lecture about proofreading and typos and staying "on topic." Sad. Seriously sad. And in every case, the original, student-created, rough drafts had been FINE the day before the final papers were due. Said students apparently freaked, changed topics, read bad blogs, and copied. Typos and all. Sheeesh. As my third grade niece, Emily, would say "...they made poor choices." Moral of the story? If you're gonna plagiarize, pick a better blog.
Things I am thankful for today:
1. A husband who gets up with me at 5am -- even on his day off
2. A husband who makes me coffee -- even when he isn't going to drink any himself
3. Students who plagiarize well enough I don't "catch" them (see, see - I'm bitter now...)
4. Puffs ultra (for my runny nose)
5. Email (seriously... remember when we used to have to actually TALK to people??)
Until tomorrow, dear WWW...
DONNA
BON MOTS
“This is one of those views which are so absolutely absurd that only very learned men could possibly adopt them.” --John Burroughs
"Living in a vacuum sucks." --Adrienne E. Gusoff
"Living in a vacuum sucks." --Adrienne E. Gusoff
Monday, October 29, 2007
Catching Plagiarizers? Priceless...
Labels: dissertation, PhD, rhetoric, teaching
academic life,
blogging,
conferences,
Dave,
family,
plagiarism,
students,
virtual discourse
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment