...or five decent reasons to not jump off a cliff today.
I read a interesting blog a few days ago (I'd give credit, but I couldn't locate the blog again -- if it's your idea I quote, many apologies)... said blog was written by a very serious person -- one who seemed to be lost in the world of dark poetry, death, destruction, mayhem, and horror movie reviewing (which is the way I happened to stumble across the blog in the first place).
The first thing I noticed was that each day began with a short post: a list of at least 5 things this particular blogger was grateful for on that given day. No matter how dark and gloomy the posts were that followed, the day began with a sort of "pessimist's affirmation." I loved it. Here was a man/woman/other after my own heart. Someone who saw the worst, and yet remembered those things anyone would be pleased to call a life.
I may not be wrapped in the same dark world (the ridiculousness of academic life would preclude that reality - even if I wanted), I can definitely see the benefit in beginning each day with a short list of the good in your own singular world on that same day. It's also a nifty way to begin a blogging "habit," a short way to begin each day by writing (no matter how mundane or weird or personal that writing might occasionally be). It's how I started making my bed everyday, and it's how I force myself (though it hasn't been forced for some time now) to straighten my house before I go to bed - no matter how late (ahem - early) it is, or how tired I might be.
So, dear WWW, my new goal is to begin each day right here ---- with a short list. That way, if I accomplish nothing else of any value on a dreary, rainy, cold Monday morning, I know I've done some writing and that the writing was good.
I don't promise to share deep insights or even my most serious "happy thoughts." In fact, my guess is that these lists will get pretty weird from day to day - primarily because, I'm not going to list the givens (even though they are often the least appreciated from day to day -- that is, Dave, Suki, Kitty, my family, my general health, etc...). These fall under the realm of "duh" statements -- those aspects of life that are the biggies -- the "thank yous" I say (mentally) in some way everyday.
So, day one -- here goes:
1. Hair that looks "okay" curly (damn the rain! oops -- not thankfulness, huh?)
2. Office mates who make me laugh
3. My laptop at work
4. My cozy office "cube" corner
5. Dry feet (damn the rain!!! sorry -- it's a process this gratefulness thing, you know?)
Ahhhh... 100% writing to start my day.
Damn it feels good to start a "healthy" habit...
BON MOTS
“This is one of those views which are so absolutely absurd that only very learned men could possibly adopt them.” --John Burroughs
"Living in a vacuum sucks." --Adrienne E. Gusoff
"Living in a vacuum sucks." --Adrienne E. Gusoff
Monday, October 22, 2007
Things I'm Thankful For
Labels: dissertation, PhD, rhetoric, teaching
academic life,
blogging,
family,
fun,
juggling,
to-do list,
virtual discourse
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment