I'm not sure where the phrase HIBBS originated. It's part of our old-time family lore now -- and though I don't know when or where it started, I can say, with some certainty, that it is definitely of a Souder-ific nature. In case you weren't aware, I grew up with my husband's Souder family (he was an "adult" when I became part of the clan -- 20 years-old or so.... you know - mature - so waaay above a couple of pesky 10 or 11 year old girls - come on ---- we giggled).
Nevertheless, it's Dave's (the hubby's) word, so he gets ultimate credit for its modern resurgence, even if he didn't birth it in the first place. Bravo, Dave!
Since I was the oldest kid in my family (a couple of pesky boys trailed behind me), a lot of our McKinney-isms actually originated in the Souder household that I frequented. Regardless, since everyone ASSUMES I'm saying HIVS at first (I mean, iiiicccckkk), I am (at least) sure this word pre-dates AIDS and the whole HIV epidemic (which is about right for me to have heard it first as an impressionable 10-12 year-old).
def. n. HIBBS -- a generic word to describe any sickness that makes you feel terrible but that has no medically worthy (or definable) origins. "Dissertation HIBBS," for example, is currently making its way through my office... (cough, cough -
This semester (for some odd reason), all of my students adopted HIBBS (the word, not the illness --- though several feigned a HIBBS-like infestation) as their own. they began using it so causally in fact, that I decided that we MUST, once and for all, determine what HIBBS actually stood for --- as it lends itself so nicely to the world of acronyms.
Here are a few of their more clever and descriptive suggestions...
Horrible Illness Bringing Bacterial Suffering
Having Internal Bad Bacteria Symptoms
Hello, I'm Blowing Bacterial Substances
Health Infection Blowing Bacteria Sporadically
What do you think, dear WWW? Have a favorite? Think you can do better?
Let me know...
DONNA



No comments:
Post a Comment