BON MOTS

“This is one of those views which are so absolutely absurd that only very learned men could possibly adopt them.” --John Burroughs

"Living in a vacuum sucks." --Adrienne E. Gusoff

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Chasing Rabbits and a Nap

...or why my dog hates me and does not get the dissertation writing process.

My friend Lynda recently told me that she thought she should record her dog sleeping (his soft, sleepy, dog-snores), because she figured she could sell it as a sleep-aid. She claims that it is virtually impossible to work once the dog calls it a night. I get it. I have my own sleepy dog to overcome, but unlike Lynda's dog, she decides to conk out at the oddest times (probably because her mama has such weird sleeping habits, huh)?

Like, for instance, NOW:

Though I ought to care more what my beloved Boxer-Shepherd mix is doing to our furniture (she is the nicest smelling, cleanest dog I know - but a 60 pound sack of boxer does some serious fluffing damage to a big chair cushion).

I swear, one of these days, when the dissertation is really done, I hope that I can be this relaxed -- just once. One day of this sort of peace, and I'd be pleased.

Anyway, it's bad enough that she rings the bells for outside 27 times a day, and that she wants you to throw her ball down the hallway 800000 times a day, but the sleeping thing does me in -- I swear. Cuddly, sweet, quiet dog noises and lots of deep sighs from the big chair, and I am just done in. I mean, who can concentrate when this is lookin' right at'cha??

Now, I ask you: could YOU resist this face? The sweet sighs, the rabbit chasing dreams? Could you? Really? Everyone -- NOT T J?

(GAH) Back to the dissertation writing. I need a nap.

Give me strength, dear WWW...

DONNA

No comments: